Johnson and Son Bikeworks
About Our Shop
Over the last eight years, Johnson and Son Bikeworks has grown from a bicycle rescue hobby in the backyard to a fully fledged bicycle shop, still in the backyard! This business has grown due to the relationships we have with customers and the community. Our vision is to support and expand the number of people in our community who choose cycling for transportation and recreation.
About Our Shop
Over the last eight years, Johnson and Son Bikeworks has grown from a bicycle rescue hobby in the backyard to a fully fledged bicycle shop, still in the backyard! This business has grown due to the relationships we have with customers and the community.
Our vision is to support and expand the number of people in our community who choose cycling for transportation and recreation.
What We Do
We provide the services and products you expect to find at a professional bicycle shop including:
New and Used Bikes
We have a large inventory. Two buildings display 60 new and 120 used bicycles for sale. We have additional on-site storage of new and used bikes as well. Our used bikes start at $50 for a refurbished box store bike. Our average used bike is an older name brand mountain or road bike selling for $150. All used bikes have a satisfaction or your money back warranty for as long as you own the bike.
For new bikes, we are primarily a Jamis Bicycles dealer. Most of our Jamis bikes are entry-level hybrids (multi-use) and mountain bikes. These sell for $340 – $500. We also carry some new Raliegh hybrid and youth bikes. These bikes range between $130- $300. In 2018 we will start stocking Framed fat bikes.
The quality of our service determines the future of our shop.
We work to maintain a high-quality relationship with you by:
- The integrity of the work we perform;
- Having work completed when promised;
- Guiding customers in a way that is in their best interest, including listening!
- Honoring our warranties; and
- Taking the time needed to help our customers fully.
Parts & Accessories
We maintain a basic inventory of new parts and accessories. Things like:
- All components for entry and mid-level mountain, hybrid, and road bicycles;
- Accessories for Commuters: lights, racks, fenders, panniers, baskets, bells;
- Basic repair gear including pumps, tools, patch kits;
- Locks; and
- New and used tires.
We also carry and sell a large inventory of used parts and gear.
Just visiting or not sure if you are ready to buy? We have comfort hybrids for the rail trail and back roads as well as mountain bikes for nearby single track riding. We also have kid’s and balance bikes as well as trailers. We rent recumbents, including a tandem recumbent and electric assist bicycles.
This area offers a number of fun riding terrains including a flat rail trail free of traffic, a network of scenic background “Gravel grinds”, well-researched road bike routes and finally professionally built singletrack mountain biking. Check out the following links:
Johnson and Son Bikeworks will continue to offer safe riding and basic repair/maintenance classes. If you are interested in classes as an individual or group please stop by the shop or call us.
The community has supported our shop over the past eight years. We appreciate that and offer the community the following:
- Allow free use of shop space and tools for people who want to work on their own bikes.
- We have programs for kids who ride to school and adults who ride to work.
- We have provided a workspace and materials for volunteers to refurbish bikes for Syrian families who are resettling (link Rutland resettlement program) in Rutland, Vermont.
- We have provided a workspace and materials for volunteers to refurbish bikes for Freedom Machines. These bikes are given to people in substance abuse recovery who have been able to stay
clean and sober for 90 days.
- We have provided the Poultney Public Library with bikes, locks, and helmets that can be checked out from the library free of charge.
- We started a library bike pass program that allows local library patrons to rent bikes at our shop at a 75% discount ($4 per person per day). This is available at Poultney and Castleton libraries
presently and we hope to expand it.
- We work with Slate Valley Trails to organize group rides and other events.